Since here in Riga we have a sky-high priced public transport (compared to salaries), I decided to protest against it. By walking :D. At first I challenged myself to walk everywhere for a whole week. By the way, the distances I make aren’t that short.
And you know what? I did it and I love it! Especially now, when you can almost feel the spring in the air. Not to mention the money I saved.
You may ask – what is so special about walking?
It’s just walking…Everybody does that. Yes… but not nearly enough. I actually feel stronger and healthier now, and my legs are toned up!
There are countless physical activities out there, but walking often is not perceived as a proper physical activity. Actually it is the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health.
If you are too lazy to exercise, but want to lose some weight or to tone up your body, challenge yourself for one or two weeks – walk everywhere you need. Don’t use a car or public transport. Just go!
Benefits of walking (at least 30 min a day):
- A healthy weight maintenance;
- Firmer body, especially legs and booty;
- Toned abs – if you really pay attention to your posture as you walk;
- Stronger heart – reduced risk of heart disease and stroke;
- Improved blood pressure and blood sugar level;
- Reduced risk of osteoporosis;
- Reduced risk of breast and colon cancer;
- Stronger bones;
- Enhanced mental well-being;
- Fresh air in your lungs;
- Boosted vitamin D level;
- Paradoxical, but it gives you energy;
- You can discover new streets and places;
- Meet new people;
- Lift your mood;
- Save the money and buy yourself something nice.
As you see there really are so many benefits for such a simple activity. Physical activity doesn’t need to be complicated – a daily brisk walk can help you live a healthier life. The faster, farther and more frequently you walk, the sooner you will see and feel the benefits.
Don’t smile about it and remember – anything that raises your heart rate and gets your blood pumping is a workout for your heart, circulatory system and muscles. Have a great day and enjoy the spring!